Thanks to the organisers of the BVE Expo in London for inviting me to chair a day of exciting conference sessions in the Post and Workflow Theatre. Highlights from the day included some great insights from a panel of top broadcast CTOs who joined me as I chaired CTOs: View from the Bridge‘. Thanks to Steve Plunkett at Ericsson, Richard Wilding at Molinare, Darren Woolfson at Pinewood, Marc Risby at Boxer Systems and Brian Noonan at Broadcast SIM.
Which topics are top of their lists?
- UHD/4K/HDR workflows – in particular the challenges of handling vast amounts of uncompressed data.
- Cloud is not quite ready for prime time, but it will get there. Barrier is the cost and connectivity to get data in and out.
- Consumer devices driving the industry – CTOs are eyeing VR and AI but not yet sure of the impact.
- Mobile is an increasingly important production tool – especially for newsgathering.
- New skills in the industry are needed – combining broadcast/video skills with IT/cloud.
Another highlight was the case study of Tern’s INsight TV, launched with a technology platform from Prime Focus Technologies combined UHD/HDR, a “new generation” of broadcaster and fully cloud operations. The presentation is available on the BVE site here. Thanks to Tern’s CEO Rian Bester, and Ryan Leigh, VP EMEA at Prime Focus Technologies for taking us behind the scenes.
I also joined a stellar panel of industry experts to discuss future trends in our industry – how broadcast technology and consumer electronics used to create and distribute media are responding to the changing demands of consumers. Some great questions from a packed audience, and insightful ideas from the speakers: Mark Harrison of the DPP, Tom Williams of Ostmodern, Gideon Ferber of Ross Video, and Ben Foakes from BASE Media Cloud.